Oversight and Support for Property Managers
Preservation Financing for Long-Term Affordability
MassHousing is committed to preserving the affordable rental housing that already exists in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our seasoned and knowledgeable underwriting teams work with owners of multifamily rental housing to develop creative, best-in-class refinancing options that
- Preserve affordable rents for the long-term
- Fund upgrades to the properties, including energy efficiency improvements
- Provide the best financial and mission outcomes for borrowers
Optimizing Portfolio Performance
The relationship between MassHousing and our multifamily borrowers doesn't end when the loan is closed. MassHousing takes a proactive and long-term approach to overseeing the rental housing we finance.
Our asset management professionals have deep experience in subsidized housing operations and management. They work closely with management and site staff to ensure the assets are well-managed and maintained and the resident experience is successful. Our teams
- Conduct annual reviews of the physical and financial condition of more than 500 MassHousing-financed rental housing developments
- Manage the accounting and distribution of millions of dollars of state and federal subsidies that support these apartments
Supporting property managers and residents
MassHousing was a pioneer in "going beyond bricks and mortar" to foster successful residential communities. It started in the 1980s with our Tenant Assistance Program (TAP), which sought to address the problem of alcohol and substance abuse in subsidized housing communities.
TAP has grown in the ensuing decades and now provides a vast array of programs for residents as well as trainings, conferences, workshops and other learning opportunities for site staff and resident services coordinators (RSCs). Our staff facilitates access to dispute resolution, information on how to address hoarding by residents and other timely challenges in property management.
Accounting and Data Processing (ADP) Policy
The documents and links below relate to MassHousing's policy for defining and accounting for ADP costs. Please contact your asset manager with any questions.
Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan
An Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan promotes equal access to affordable housing opportunities. Use the resources below to develop your Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan:
- Federal (HUD) Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan (fillable PDF)
Questions? Contact Us
If you have questions or comments regarding the submission of a new or updated AFHMP, please contact LaVergne Randolph or Colleen Kelley. To submit a new or updated AFHMP, please send it (with documentation) as a PDF to AFHMP@masshousing.com.
Replacement Reserve Policy and Guidelines
The documents below will help owners and management agents determine eligible expenses and the documentation necessary to support a request for disbursement from the Replacement Reserve account. If you have questions, contact your Asset Manager.
Replacement Reserve Policy & Exhibits
- Replacement Reserve Policy and Guidelines
- Addendum I: MassHousing Replacement Reserve Policy
- Exhibit A: Replacement Reserve Reimbursement Spreadsheet
- Exhibit B: Required Documentation Checklist for Replacement Reserve Reimbursement Requests
- Exhibit C: Agreement to Repay Funds Advanced from Replacement Reserve for Subsidy Shortfall
- Exhibit D: Agreement to Repay Loan from Replacement Reserve
Rental Business Portal
MassHousing's multifamily partners can access program information, forms & documents as well as other resources, and can log in to submit reports, view loan information and more.