Operation Welcome Home
Operation Welcome Home's first borrowers, Courtney Messenheimer and Marine Corps Veteran Michael Stearns
The Operation Welcome Home mortgage program supports members of the Reserves and National Guard, active-duty military, Veterans and Gold Star Families in achieving the dream of homeownership.
All Operation Welcome Home loans feature
- Affordable interest rates, fixed for the life of the loan
- Flexible underwriting and income limits
- Loan servicing by MassHousing. If you have a question, you’ll know who to call!
Down Payment Assistance
Operation Welcome Home borrowers can qualify for a down payment assistance loan for up to 3% of the purchase price or $12,000, whichever is less.
Mortgage Insurance (MI) Options
MassHousing offers a number of MI options for Operation Welcome Home loans
- MIPlus Mortgage Payment Protection, which helps repay your loan if you are deployed or lose your job, or for Reservists and National Guard Members called to active duty
- Discounted MI premiums available to eligible borrowers
- Monthly and single MI premiums available
Buying a home in need of repair?
An Operation Welcome Home loan may be used to finance the purchase and rehabilitation/repair of a home!
To qualify for an Operation Welcome Home loan, you must
- Be an active duty military member; Veteran who served honorably; member of the Reserves or National Guard; or a Gold Star Family member
- Be a first-time homebuyer*
- Purchase a 1- to 4-family property in Massachusetts (including condominiums)
- Meet income and loan limits
*You do not have to be a first-time homebuyer if you are purchasing a home in Boston, Chelsea, Cambridge, Everett, Fall River, Lawrence, Lynn, North Adams and Somerville.
To learn more about these and other programs and resources from MassHousing, fill out the form below!